Lafayette Killer Still On The Loose

The killer who took the lives of two Lafayette County men has not yet
been apprehended, Lafayette County Sheriff’s investigator Scott Mills
said this morning.
Frank Taylor Clark II, 44, and his son, Charles Taylor Clark, 20, were
shot and killed around 11:30 p.m. Saturday in their home on County Road
494.


By ALYSSA SCHNUGG
The Oxford Eagle
The killer who took the lives of two Lafayette County men has not yet been apprehended, Lafayette County Sheriff’s investigator Scott Mills said this morning.
Frank Taylor Clark II, 44, and his son, Charles Taylor Clark, 20, were shot and killed around 11:30 p.m. Saturday in their home on County Road 494.

The wife and mother of the two men was also shot but is expected to recover from her injuries.

Another son was in the home during the shooting but was unharmed. Neighbors say they heard him outside of the house shortly after the shooting on his cell phone, saying his family was killed over $5,000 and that the murderer stole his car.

The empty vehicle was found by Lafayette County deputies shortly after discovering the bodies. It’s being processed for evidence, Mills said.

Two Oxford Police K9s assisted the Sheriff’s Department in its search for the suspect but found nothing, OPD Chief Mike Martin said.

Few details about the suspect are being made available by the Sheriff’s Department. The only description the county law enforcement agency has released is that the suspect is believed to be a black male.

Rumors flew around Oxford and Lafayette County on Monday as to whether the suspect was a friend of one of the two Clark sons.

Next-door neighbor Ann Knighton said she didn’t hear any gunshots Saturday night.

“I believe the Lord shielded me from hearing any of it,” she said Monday afternoon. “My granddaughter was restless and wouldn’t go to sleep until after 3 a.m. She’s never done that before. I was busy with her and didn’t hear a thing.”

Knighton said the Clarks were good people.

“Taylor and his daddy were very nice,” said Knighton who visited with the injured woman earlier that day. “I didn’t ask her about what happened. I figured it wasn’t none of my business.”

Knighton said she’s not nervous even though the killer is still on the loose because she has God to protect her.

“That poor family went to bed that night not knowing their life would be cut down short,” she said. “All of us better be sure of where we’re going when we die, because you never know what can happen. There’s no promises.” Charles Taylor Clark, who goes by Taylor, worked for Big Star grocery store for about a year and a half before he left in November, Big Star owner Joe Larson said.

“He started off bagging groceries and then he moved over to the meat department,” Larson said Monday. “He was a good guy. We enjoyed having him here. We’re just shocked and awful sorry about it.”

The Clark’s deaths are the second and third murders in Lafayette County since January.

In April the body of Chris Ann Milam Harwell, 45, 299 County Road 105, was found by Lafayette County deputies. Her husband, James O. Harwell, 46, was arrested in her death and was indicted for murder by the grand jury in May.

Sheriff F.D. Buddy East said there hasn’t been a multiple murder in Lafayette County for at least 15 years.

“We had a triple murder about 15 years ago,” he said. “Thankfully, we don’t have them very often.”

Martin said he can’t remember when Oxford had a multiple murder.

“We haven’t had one in the past eight years I know for sure,” Martin said. “And I can’t remember any before then but I can’t say for sure.”

Crimestoppers is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the suspect. Anyone with information is asked to call the Sheriff’s Department at 234-6421.

Speak Your Mind